Perfect Picnic Pastries
Sweet Chilli Sausage Rolls with Grilled Pepper & Feta Dip
For the Sausage Rolls:
454g Simply Better Irish Pork Sausage Meat
2 Tbsp. Simply Better Irish Made Sweet Chilli Sauce
2 Tbsp. Simply Better Italian Pesto alla Genovese with PDO Genovese Basil
1 Tbsp. Simply Better Organic Irish Jersey Milk
3 Simply Better Free Range Corn Fed Large Eggs
1 Pack Simply Better All Butter Puff Pastry, thawed
2 Tsp Sesame Seeds
Plain Flour, for dusting
Sea Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper
For the Grilled Pepper & Feta Dip:
1 Jar of Simply Better Italian Grilled Peppers
1 Pack of Simply Better Greek Barrel Aged Feta
Zest of 1½ Lemon
Cut each long sausage roll into 4 pieces, trimming down and discarding the ends
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/ Gas Mark 6). Line 2 baking sheets with non-stick baking paper.
2. To make the filling, put the sausage meat in a food processor with the sweet chilli sauce, basil pesto, 2 eggs, salt and pepper and blitz to combine, then transfer to a piping bag.
3. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface to make a long rectangular shape that measures 35cm x 33cm (14in x 13in), then cut the pastry in half again lengthways. Pipe half of the sausage meat filling into a long log shape that will run the whole length of the pastry making sure it’s approximately 5mm (¼in) from the edge. Break the remaining egg into a bowl and add the milk and a pinch of salt, then lightly beat together to make an egg wash. Brush the sides of the pastry with the egg wash, then fold the pastry over to enclose the filling and press down well to seal the edges, either crimping them with your fingers or pressing down with a fork. Repeat with the rest of the pastry and filling.
4. Cut each long sausage roll into 4 pieces, trimming down and discarding the ends. Glaze the sausage rolls with the rest of the egg wash, then sprinkle each one lightly with sesame seeds and arrange on the lined baking sheets. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through and lightly golden.
5. To make the dip, place the peppers in a food processor with two tablespoons of the oil from the jar along with the feta and lemon zest. Blitz to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with the sausage rolls.
& PESTO PUFF PASTRY TART
1 Pack of Simply Better Ready To Roll All Butter Puff Pastry, thawed
3 Tbsp. Simply Better Italian Basil Pesto alla Genovese with PDO Genovese Basil
250g Simply Better Irish Tomkin & Tomistar Tomatoes, sliced
125g Cream Cheese
Fresh Basil Leaves, to garnish
Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C Fan (425°F/Gas Mark 7).
2. Dust a work surface with flour and roll out the puff pastry into a large rectangle measuring about 45x30cm/18x12in and about 3mm thick. Lightly score a 1cm border around the edge of the pastry using a sharp knife and transfer to a baking tray.
3. Smear a layer of cream cheese inside the pastry border, then cover the cream cheese with a layer of basil pesto. Arrange the sliced tomatoes on top and season with a little salt and pepper before transferring to the oven to bake for about 25-30 minutes until the pastry has puffed up and become golden.
4. Garnish the puff pastry tart with the fresh basil leaves and serve straight to the table.